Thursday, 11 February 2016

Small Mercies



God is good. That is something I have been learning over and over again this past year. I especially learned this truth during my mission’s trip to Greece. I am a person who is afraid of a lot of things. It’s really hard for me to step out of my comfort zone and I depend on others more than I should. I am not an independent person and I hate making decisions. I would rather have someone else take charge of my life and I’ll just follow along. I know, not very healthy. Deciding to go on this mission’s trip was a huge deal for me. I would be leaving my family, home, and everything I am familiar and comfortable with, and fly fourteen hours across the world. I made the decision to go very quickly and was committed early on, which was a good thing. By the time I left, I would have gotten out of going if I could have. How glad I am now that I couldn’t! I knew that I would have a great time once I got there, but the act of actually leaving terrified me. How could I leave?! Canada is my home and I am quite happy and content here. But I was expected to go and I had people depending on me. I was also going with a lovely lady I have known my entire life. How bad could it be? But it was so big to me; no small feat. I had to be faithful though and I knew God had called me to Greece. Our God is so faithful! He knew all my fears and He was faithful and good. I went to Calgary to fly out to Greece. The woman I was going with, Jeanette, was flying first class and I was going economy. When we arrived at the airport she decided to see if she could get me into the business class lounge. We walked in, I was praying that I would be able to get in, and asked if I would be able to go in as well, even though I was economy. The woman at the desk said someone had left their pass behind and would see if she could swing it. Yes! The pass worked and I walked into the lounge with Jeanette. We thanked the lady profusely and she just smiled shyly. I knew then that God was with me and watching over us. It wasn’t a huge thing if I couldn’t have gotten in the lounge, but it was so nice that I could. It reaffirmed the fact that God was with us, at least to me.
 I was scared for the flight. I don’t really like flying, but I was also going to be sitting by myself. Jeanette was sitting in business class, so we weren’t sitting together. I was so scared of getting on the plane and having to be by someone I didn’t know. Air Canada also let us board at the same time, so I got on the plane before everyone else. Jeanette came to see where I was sitting and mentioned that maybe I would sit by myself. I was sitting by the window and I watched as everyone boarded the plane. I was praying, “Lord, please let me sit by myself!” Person after person walked past and no one sat by me. I was by myself. It was amazing! It was especially nice since that was the 9 hour flight and I could stretch out without disturbing anyone. God was with me. The next flight, from Athens to Frankfurt, I was again sitting by myself! Well, almost by myself. I sat by the window again and there was an empty seat between me and the other man; but still lovely. On the final flight, from Athens to Mytilini, I was sitting by Jeanette and because the flight was mostly empty the man who was sitting by me moved so that I would be more comfortable. So kind!
Throughout the week God was with me. I wasn’t afraid like I usually would be, and I am normally a scaredy-cat. I had a sense of peace and security all through the week. I have never felt Gods presence so strongly. He was there. When I was walking about the town, or working in the camp, He was there. On the way home, too, I was going to be alone. But our God is greater! I was sitting with people I knew all the way back! It was so much fun to be able to sit by people I had met on the trip and get to know them better. This trip I grew so much in my faith and experienced God in a new way. He became so real to me and I am so grateful to have been able to go to Greece.

3 comments:

  1. So happy you were able to overcome so many obstacles (fears) Sarah. I know that as you continue to step out that you will be able to look back at your growth with surprise and great joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! I am excited to see where God will lead me next.

      Delete
  2. Glad to know that you felt God's presence on your trip, as we were all praying for you. Sometimes the hardest part is the getting out the door and going :)

    ReplyDelete