Friday, 18 March 2016

The Bible Passage



One of the first nights in Greece I was really homesick, so I got out the Bible my mom had sent with me. It’s actually my Dad’s travel Bible. There is a piece of paper in the Bible that had two verses written on it, so I looked them up and they just fit so well with what we were going to do during the week. I have no idea how long that paper has been in there, but I am so glad it was. The first passage was- oh this is so funny. I thought it was 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18, which it was, but the paper was over the Chapter 5 marker so I read 5:13-18! The 4:13-18 doesn’t really fit, but because I didn’t see that I was reading chapter 5 it fit really well! So good. So not 1 Thessalonians 4, but 5:13-18.

“Hold them in the highest regard in love because of their work. Live in peace with each other. And we urge you, brothers, warn those who are idle, encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone. Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always try to be kind to each other and to everyone else. Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”

The second passage was 1 John 4:7-12.

“Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God, whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.”

I thought both of those passages really worked. When I first read them I cried. It just hit me. I am to help others and show them love, just as God has loved me. It was such an encouragement to read those verses and remember the reason God had called me to Greece. God is love and because I am a follower of Christ I can have the same love for others that He has for me. I do not have to let fear take over and restrict my love for others. I was there to care and love the refugees. With God’s help, and love flowing through me, I was able to do just that.



No comments:

Post a Comment